Hazardous Objects and Substances
As we prepare for the holidays our kitties may try in join in and accidentally harm themselves. Please take heed of the following:
- Wrapping paper ribbon is attractive to cats but can be deadly if they swallow it. Keep all wrappings out of reach of cats, especially kittens. If it becomes lodged in the intestines, surgery will be necessary.
- Tree sap can cause vomiting and diarrhea, please keep tree water covered.
- Cats that venture outdoors are susceptible to frostbite on their ears and feet. Please keep them inside this winter.
- Cats also enjoy the heat of car motors and may crawl up inside for the warmth. If you park your car outside remember to thump on the hood before starting your car.
- Holiday plants can be irritating to a cats’ digestive tract. Please keep plants out of reach or spray them with a bitter tasting liquid available at pet stores. LILIES ARE EXTREMELY TOXIC TO CATS AND CAN CAUSE THEIR KIDNEYS TO FAIL IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS.
- Holiday meals are fine for humans but overindulgence may cause vomiting and diarrhea in your cat. Please refrain from feeding your cat human foods.
- Remember that not all cats enjoy the frivolity and commotion around the holidays. Seclude your cat if necessary for their peace of mind.
2009 top ASPCA calls were regarding: chocolates, alcohol, avocados, macadamia nuts, grapes and raisins, yeast dough, raw or undercooked meat, xylitol sweetener, onions and garlic and milk. Dangerous plants included lilies, marijuana, sago palm, tulip, oleander, cyclamen, kalanchoe, yew, amaryllis and a few more. See full list of poisonous plants to avoid, here